Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I have an intense craving 'for'.... something.

I am an 'avid reader'. No but I wish I read more.  I like to walk in and out of bookshops making little or no noise. I take comfort in seeing novels that I have flipped through and finished. I sometimes will press my index finger over the hard-back covers. A mental record of things we have wanted to complete or maybe just to feel more familiar in a place filled with words, language and speech. I leave with a recycled paper catalogue. I wish to read more.

I am an avid adventurer. I have had a bite of bungee at victorious heights (Vic Falls) but no I am not an avid adventurer.  We sit in numerous white-wall rooms throughout our lives having to sum-up our greatest feats in less that ten words.  I sit tenth in-line of a room filled with brash uni students, waiting for my tutor who is no older than myself to ask me to share my greatest feat. I pause for a moment and then remember oh yes, "I bungeed". It is easier to have the answers ready to questions that will determine who we are, what we do, and where we are going. I am fearless? No I am terribly scarred of heights.  And on that nice day waiting for my legs to be tied together and nervously trembling my life away he yelled, "One Two Three Bunjee" And I jumped.  However, the balls of my feet cannot claim to have travelled much further than the truth.  I will go away this year, I want to clock more hours on my feet while I can. I am twenty-seven. I am still not an avid adventurer.

I have an avid ambition to live each day to the maximum. It feels as cliche to type the words as it does to say it out loud.  But I still find myself reading glossy resolutions that are designed to help you truly achieve a satisfying life in the New Year : Learn yoga with a group of girl-friends, join a network of food enthused individuals, find time for myself, unclutter your life starting with you wardrobe. I have questioned the effects a polaroid on my fridge would have to my health? I have a weakness to writing lists and find myself drawn to reading up on others.  I bullet note items when I leave home even the simple ones such as: phone adaptor, shower cap, empty fridge. I am untrusting of my memory or terrified to forget.  I am a creature of habit with no time for yoga on my list of things today.

I have an avid need to things. I need a Diana F+ Camera. (http://www.lomography.com.au/)  'Dating back to the early 1960s, the all-plastic Diana camera is a cult legend - famous for its dreamy, radiant, and low-fi images'. Ten Golden Rules quoted:
1. Take your LOMO with you wherever you go
2. Use it all the time, at any time - day or night 
3. Lomography does not interfere with your life, it's a part of it 
4. Get as close as possible to the objects of your lomographic desire 
5. Don't think (William Firebrace) 
6. Be fast 
7. You don't have to know what's going to be captured on your film
8. You don't have to know what's on the film afterwards either 
9. Shoot from the hip 
10. Don't worry about rules

Yes I am sold. The golden list says it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment